History and Tradition

In 1870, the Okayama-Han Medical Training School was established by the Lord of Okayama, to advance medical science. It was later renamed the Okayama Medical College, before becoming the Okayama University Medical School in 1949.

In October 1986, several vocational schools already at Okayama University (School of Nurses, School of Radiotechnology, and School of Medical Technology belonging to the Medical School) and various other schools (Schools of Midwives) were reorganized to form the School of Health Sciences (Department of Nursing (80 students), Department of Radiotechnology (40 students), Department of Health Technology (40 students) and Postgraduate Midwifery Course (from 1990)).

In October 1998, the School of Health Sciences was reorganized and converted into the Okayama University Medical School, resulting in establishment of the Faculty of Health Sciences: Department of Nursing (80 students), Department of Radiological Technology (40 students), and Department of Medical Technology (40 students). It has a total of 8 courses in 3 departments.

In April 2003, the Graduate School of Health Sciences was established. It then provided a major in Health Sciences (Master’s Course): Nursing (14 students), Radiological Technology (6 students), and Medical Technology (6 students).

In April 2005, the new Graduate School of Health Sciences Master’s Course was established. It then provided a major in Health Sciences: Nursing (14 students), Radiological Technology (6 students) and Medical Technology (6 students)) and the Ph.D. Course (major in Health Sciences: total of 10 students in Nursing, Radiological Technology and Medical Technology).

Historic main gate to Okayama University Medical School

Historic main gate to Okayama University Medical School

University name inscription from the time of the School of Health Sciences

University name inscription from the time of the School of Health Sciences

Okayama University Hospital

Okayama University Hospital